Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My little helper

My baby is 17 months old today. (Scuse me while I go cry a little bit.) My baby is not such a baby anymore, shes turning into a big girl.  I'll look at her and see my little baby, but then she'll go and do something like bring me a water bottle while saying "Wata. Pleeease."  Or bring me her Animal book saying "Amals.  Book. Pleeease." Then sit there and make the animal noises as I turn the pages for her. And I'll realize Wow.  My little baby is not such a baby anymore.  She is a big girl.  One part of being a big girl that she wholeheartedly embraces is helping.  Oh boy does this girl LOVE to help her Momma.

I was cycling laundry the other day and she was standing under my feet getting upset.  It took me a second to realize its because I wasn't letting her help like I usually did.  She likes it when I take the clothes out of washer and hand them to her to put in the dryer, sure it means that we cycle it one item at a time, but oh well.

She helps fold and put her cloth diaper away too.  Yesterday I was taking them out of the dryer and she came over to me and started trying to pull them out of my arms, she wanted to carry them to the couch.   Then she handed them to me so I could match them up and fold them.  Then she moved the folded ones from the couch to her fluff box.  (She also likes to pull her fluff box off the table and dump them all out, but oh well right?)

For dishes, she likes to pull the silverware out of the basket and hand it to me to go put in the drawer. (Don't worry, I take all the knives out first.)  She also likes for me to pull the mixing bowls/pots/pans out and hand them to her to put in the cupboard.  I think her favorite part though is trying to unload the dirty dishes as I am trying to load them....

If I am making a snack like a sandwich she likes to help me pull the stuff out of the fridge.  This usually consists of me standing at the fridge, pulling an item out, handing it to her, then walking across the kitchen so she can hand it to me to put on the counter.  Repeat for all the items.  She can put them away better though, I hand them to her and she takes them to the open fridge and puts them all in a produce bin.

Its amazing to me what a big girl she is, and all the things she understands.  I love how much she loves to help, sure it usually makes the job take longer and creates more work for me, but that is totally worth helping her learn and explore and making her feel important and valued.

Oh yeah, she also likes to help me vacuum.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs421.ash1/23335_400995127851_588667851_4467737_2543719_n.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...